Monday 6 June 2011

Rest and Recovery

The eager newbie in me wanted to be out on my bike 7 days a week, or at least as many days as other commitments would allow. I suceeded pretty well to start with and felt like I was making good gains. I was also aware that winter was fast approaching, so was probably doubly motivated to ride as much as possible.

The thing is, what I quickly discovered is that though road cycling is relatively low impact compared to some other sports, it is all too easy to over-train and the effect this can have on your health, wellbeing and performance is not to be underestimated. Taking breaks and letting your mind and body recover is just as important as what you do on the bike. What follows is my own approach to making sure when I ride, I can be at my best.

(Remember, this is what works at the moment for me, YMMV!)

1. Take a day off! At least one a week. Typically I rest on a Monday as I work late on a Sunday evening and usually feel a little lethargic afterwards. It's also the start of the regular (9-5) working week for me, so it means I give full concentration to planning my schedule.

In cycling terms though, it's the day I give my legs and lungs a rest. I'll give the bike a clean, if it hasn't needed it already during the week, and make sure I am ready to go come Tuesday. I don't like my day off too much and still wrangle with the desire to get out into the fresh air, so I do something different, maybe a nice walk (see point 3 on active recovery). Quite often other commitments will mean I have another rest day too. I have grown to accept this and use it to my advantage.

2. Get your diet and pre/post ride nutrition in order. If you cycle regularly your body needs more and better fuel than someone who does not exercise. That goes without saying. What and when is perhaps a bit more down to personal preference. Typically though, the following is a pretty good guide to keeping me topped up:

Pre-ride. Usually I am out very early and I have never stomached food well first thing. Some will frown upon it, but I am comfortable doing a short ride (say < 30miles) on just a coffee and banana or maybe just a coffee if I have eaten well the day before. Anything longer and I'd have a small bowl of porridge, maybe with some honey, for a good mix of slow release and readily available carbs.

During. Firstly; water... And don't wait until you are thirsty, sip regularly. A lot of people have told me that 'recovery starts in the saddle' and on longer/harder rides I totally agree. Keep in mind that anything you eat to keep you going during a ride needs to be quickly available, so try to avoid the slower buring carbs. There are all sorts of gels and carb drinks/powders available on the market and I tend to favour a Tri-Carb mix from MyProtein that dissolves nicely in a bottle of water and tastes pretty good too. It's also helpful for replenishing the salts/electrolytes lost during exercise, particularly in the warmer weather. If I am really putting the miles in I'll maybe snack on a few Go Ahead biscuits, or maybe sandwich for something more substantial. You don't need a full-on picnic, just stuff you can stash in your jersey pockets. And always carry some emergency money should you need to stop and buy something extra.

After: More water. I like to sip throughout the day and keep it interesting by having some green tea with lemon, which is a great source of antioxidants too. But, right when you get off the bike, chances are you need some carbs and some protein. Chocolate milk is almost universally appreciated and actually provides a good dose of both. Regular milk (semi-skimmed for me) and a banana is another good choice. I often opt however for a proper recovery drink and have been using MyProtein's Recovery XS with good results (other products are available!).

Don't wait to start your post ride nutrition, having something within the first 30 minutes should be your priority. After that, a proper meal within an hour or two is advisable.

3. Stretching and active recovery. Like most things in this post, both of these are incredibly important, but both must be tailored to suit your needs. I get a bad back from sitting at a desk all day, so I stretch not only after a ride, but also later in the day. 10 minutes is all you need to get a good stretch routine in that, along with good nutrition, will kick start recovery. For me, I concentrate on my lower back, hampstrings, quads and calf muscles as these are where I experience most stiffness. I don't neglect the upper body though and definitely appreciate a neck stretch after a long ride.

Active recovery could be a few things. Certainly, for me, it includes the stretching, but it could be some gentle cross training, maybe a swim or a walk. Active recovery on the bike could be a go-slow ride where you stay on the flat and at a pace where you could easily hold a conversation. Whatever you do, however good you may feel, don't be tempted to go any harder.

4. Sleep. Yay, sleep! I suck if I get less than 7 hours a night and the suggested 6-8 hours is something we should all aim for on a regular basis. All of the above are big components to your recovery, but sleep is at least as important (if not more) than any of them. Sleep well, recover well.

So, for me, the above is working right now. It may change over time as the needs of my body and mind change in line with the demands my cycling places on them. How you go about rest and recovery is down to you, but don't neglect it - your body will soon force you to stop if you do. Improper rest and recovery is a recipe for getting sick, damaging your muscles, tendons, joints etc and is just plain not fun. You can be sure also that any of these things will result in a lot more time off the bike than any of us would wish for!

Feel free to add your thoughts and ideas!

No comments:

Post a Comment