Friday 3 June 2011

All kitted out

If you are thinking of buying yourself a bike and taking up cycling, be it for sport, recreation or commuting etc don't forget to factor into your budget the kit and clothing you'll need to go with your shiny new bike.

To be honest, I didn't really account for this. I knew I'd want a helmet, (not everyone does and they aren't compulsory) in no small part to give my wife some added piece of mind as I went haring about the roads and that I'd probably pick up some shorts and a top along the way.

After parting cash for my bike I had a few days to wait whilst it was delivered. In that time I browsed various Internet forums (I recommend the Road Beginners Forum on Bike Radar here) and soon discovered I'd 'need' padded bib shorts, (and padded bib tights as the colder weather was approaching) jerseys and base layers, shoes and clipless pedals, water bottles and holders, lights, gloves, sunglasses with interchangeable lenses depending on the light conditions and various other bits and pieces. Before I knew it I had a shopping list of a few hundred quid - and I wasn't buying top quality stuff either!

Suffice to say, I am sure I could have got by with less and paying less, but don't scrimp on a few of these things. Gloves and padded shorts will aid your comfort (and therefore desire and ability to stay in the saddle longer) and a helmet, well in my opinion they just make sense. The proper kit makes riding more pleasurable, there are no two ways about it. And don't penny save on your lights. They are a compulsory requirement and buying anything that won't get you seen or light your way on dusky or dark mornings or evenings is plain daft. If you are riding on rough roads you may even want two front lights, one pointed slightly down so you can spot the potholes and road debris in advance.

And if you plan on striking out further than you care to walk pushing a bike with a flat then consider getting yourself a small pump, spare tube and some tyre levers. You can stuff them in a jersey pocket or in a small saddle bag. You just know the day will come when you need them. From what I gather having read the experiences of others flats are all too common. On that note, I have to go and touch some wood as 8 months in I am yet to have to make a roadside repair, which itself might be worthy of a later post...

No comments:

Post a Comment