Friday 3 June 2011

All the gear and no idea

Or at least that was how it was when I started out 8 months ago. I bought the bike, I bought the shorts, jersey, bottle holders and bottles, I bought the lights and cycle computer (actually, that came free with the lights) and was ready to go. Except, I had no real understanding of actually what I was doing and how to do it.

That may sound daft, "It's a bicycle, you get on and pedal" you might be thinking, and so was I. The reality however, was brought home to me in shockingly certain terms when the first time I rode out and found myself a tragic out of breath mess within 3 miles. 3 flat miles with nothing more than a bump in the road to climb.

(Actually, that was the second time I rode out. The first time, I got to the end of the street and had to head home having realised I had no idea how to change gears on these new-fangled STI shifters. Cue reading of instruction manual to learn that brakes and gears are now combined into a single lever - a lifetime away from the bikes I rode as a kid.)

Anyway, 3 miles had humbled me greatly and shown me that 1) I was unfit and 2) riding the bike; getting used to the gears and not filling my legs with lactic acid quicker than you can say "this hurts" had to happen sooner rather than later if I was to have any chance of believing my new hobby had a future.

And now, 8 months, one winter (yuck) and into Spring I find myself spinning happily, (and increasingly quickly) along the miles. Pain and suffering I self-adminster when I want to go hard, climb that big hill or fly along the country lane. No longer does the ride or road dictate my state of body and mind before, during or after. I know my weakenesses and love to challenge them. I know my strengths and love to exploit them. And I love the simple being out in my own space enjoying the freedom the bike offers so willingly and readily with every turn of the pedal.

I want to use this blog to reflect on some of my 'then to now' experiences and to also share my future progress. I do not believe for one moment that my knowledge and experiences should serve as a reliable guide for anyone else starting out with road cycling and certainly would hope that my writing is viewed as it is intended; to give an insight, to share a journey and to share a newly rekindled passion for self-improvement through exercise. There are many far better places on the web for expert advice, guidance and support for those who wish to learn - trust me I still rely on them daily!

No comments:

Post a Comment