Friday 3 June 2011

Leaps and bounds

3, 5, 10, 15, 22, 30, 45. Not my lottery numbers but simpy the amount of miles I was able to complete progressively during my first six weeks of riding. I'd get out each morning, (I tend to cycle first thing before work) between 3-5 times a week and very quickly found I was able to add the miles to my rides. Not only was I adding miles, but miles per hour also according to my little cycle computer*. Hills too - mustn't forget the hills - were soon being ridden up (and down - the fun bit) when previously I feared giving them a go and certainly believed that even with my 20+ gears I hadn't enough to get up 'em.

Yes, I was getting fitter. No, that didn't surprise me. But, what I was struck by was the awareness that what had previously seemed a very intimidating sport to get into and that had, in those first few early runs, reduced me to a sweaty, gibbering mess was all of a sudden accessible. Not just accessible, I was making great gains in my performance. It was like something had been unleashed inside of me. What I want to get across is that those early rides can be punishing if you are, like I was, effectively new to riding, but that it does get better... and quickly if you persevere.

If it hurts to begin with don't give up. Know that with each ride your body and mind will adjust and grow stronger and that a few small sweaty miles soon turns into hours in the saddle. Too many people I speak to tell me they have a bike in their garage gathering cobwebs. All too often they admit they quit before they truly began and often because they found it harder to get going than they expected. You bought the bike, you wanted to ride, give it time and you will be flying along!


*Having progressed from total newbie to 'seasoned beginner' I recognise that really and truly MPH is not a great measure of gains in ones cycling performance and that hours in the saddle probably count for more. But you have to admit, it's still kind of fun.

No comments:

Post a Comment